Monday, July 30, 2012

Memory Issues


A normal Neuron "working" in the brain-not sure I have ANY of these...






Masculine version of me at my old job
Between my extreme estrogen-deficiency and gallons of chemo pumped through my body over the years, not to mention 2 "radio-surgeries" on my brain, my memory just isn't what it used to be.  Since I once earned my living as a project manager, my memory was my most valuable tool for my work.  So, after my first go-round with chemo in 1997, I realized that that job was no longer right for me.  This really was a good thing because that job had been a source of a whole LOT of stress for many years.  Over time, I have learned to accept my slightly-faulty memory. I have become accustomed to things like:
  • Walking into a room and not remembering why
  • Not being able to find things that I was SURE I would remember when I put them in their place
  • Not remembering phone numbers - my phones do that for me now
  • Forgetting what show is on TV during a commercial
  • Occasionally wondering where I'm going when driving
  • Not remembering conversations
  • Not remembering where my calendar and my to-do list are
  • Finding the to-do list and not remembering what I was going to write on it
  • Not being able to find a simple word (searching, searching, not finding) and allowing others to help me finish sentences.  One of my yoga students is especially good at that, which often comes in handy during class.  I often find myself saying, while pointing, "that thing". 
  • Retrieving the wrong words - like saying soccer when I meant to say scrabble.  That substitution made sense to me because they both have the letters S and C and both are games, so they must be stored near one another in my brain (?)
  • Not remembering how a movie ends - that way, I can watch it multiple times and enjoy it every time.  The same is true for jokes - I can enjoy them again and again (if someone else tells them).
I have found a solution to the first item listed above.  I make up a song and sing it out loud, for example, "going to get the toilet paper, toilet paper, toilet paper, going to get the toilet paper and put it where it goes."   I keep singing the song until I've accomplished my mission.  It works well for me, when I can remember to make up a song.  I told my 86-year-old mom about this and she says it works well for her, too.

I have a humorous example of a conversation I totally forgot.  Here is a photo from inside of our gazebo - with Lake Huron in the background.  My husband and I were celebrating our gazebo's grand opening in May.  A friend noticed that there's a tiny hole in his sock - and, my socks don't match - oh no!


We had visitors last month - sister, brother & sister-in-law - so, we spent some quality time together in the gazebo.  A bald eagle flew directly over our heads while we were all watching it, which was TOTALLY COOL.  Anyway, I was talking about how I had been shortening the name of our gazebo to things like "gizbo" or "G-bo" when somebody said, "How about G-spot?" and we all laughed heartily.  A week or so later, my brother called me and started the conversation with, "So, how are things in your G-spot?" Having totally forgotten the earlier conversation, I sat in stunned silence, wondering why my brother would say such a thing to me. Then, he reminded me about the earlier conversation, and we laughed. I think we were both blushing. Now, I always call it the g-spot.  Going out there in a few minutes to meditate.  It's a beautiful day here in MI.


Anyone else have memory issues and/or solutions?  Or, an amusing story about memory-malfunctions?


Joy and peace to you,
Maggie McDee


3 comments:

  1. good post, added you to my RSS reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story, Maggie, about the G-spot. I try to use acronyms or initialisms to remember things, but sometimes when I get home to do the tasks on my "memorized" list, I forget what the letters stand for, or even what the letters were. Maybe it's because we text with all kinds of initialisms and they get all jumbled up. LOL (lots of love) for this post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I sometimes leave myself a voice-mail message reminder to add something to my list. My friend has a list app on her Kindle that keeps track of lists of lists. My sister will cross her fingers to remind her of something - I would either forget to keep them crossed or forget why I had them crossed, but it works for her. She also plays Sudoku and Kakuro to maintain that mental edge that is some important in her work. Blessings and gratitude for the post.

    ReplyDelete