Friday, July 27, 2012

Humor Therapy








I recognized the need for humor therapy in my life after my first diagnosis in 1997 and I've been using it ever since.  These are the advantages that I know of:

  • Makes me LAUGH or at least SMILE, releasing endorphins - nature's own feel-good chemicals
  • Makes me FEEL GOOD
  • Induces relaxation
  • Gives me something to think about and/or talk about that makes me laugh again
  • Reduces anxiety and stressed-out feelings
  • Lightens depression/sadness
  • Provides a distraction


Physiological Benefits of Laughter
  • Lowers blood pressure
  • Boosts immune system
  • Induces Relaxation Response
  • Exercises abdominal muscles
  • Eases anxiety & depression
  • Eases insomnia & asthma


How do I "practice" humor therapy?

  • TIVO/record sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory (current favorite), Seinfeld, Friends, Conan, Will & Grace, How I Met Your Mother, That Seventies Show, etc. and watch at least one episode before going to bed every night - and occasionally at other times as needed.
  • I watch movies that I know will make me laugh, like Jim Carrey's Liar Liar, Bruce Almighty and Ace Ventura movies; Austin Powers;  world disaster movies
  • I love to play with little kids.  Here is one of my favorite little guys. Their eyes seem to look right through me and their smiles are beautiful simplicity.  Their smiles and laughter and their HUGS are great feel-good therapy for me.


  • Trying not to take myself too seriously, I wear wild-colored socks that don't match, big dangly earrings, funny hats, big flowers and I even wore a skirt to teach yoga one day
  • Playing games with people like Robin who knows exactly what game (her achilles heel) I can kick her butt in


I'm sure there are many other ways to practice humor therapy, but I consider it an essential element of my overall healing program.



Here is a link to a website that has some evidence of the effectiveness of humor therapy on HEALTH, saying laughter is the best medicine.  If you want the science, check it out.  There are also many other good topics on this site.



Any other ideas on humor therapy?  I'd like to hear yours.

Have a JOLLY day.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie - I'm always reading your blogs....and I'm willing to have you kick my butt at Hang Man - anytime - because that means we are spending time together :-). And I'll bet I will get my chance to kick your butt at Split!

    I love you Maggie - and I love the life spirit you have and have inspired in me :-

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too, my dear Robin! thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading through this, very good stuff, thank you.

    Laughter Health

    ReplyDelete