Monday, October 1, 2012

Questioning My Spiritual Beliefs


The science of Quantum Physics is now telling us that everything in the Universe is made of energy and that we are part of all that is.  We are at-one with EVERYTHING in the Universe. We are each cells in the larger body of "The One", "I AM That","God", "Divinity", the "Universe", whatever you wish to call it.  When we choose to come into the physical body (incarnate), we take on an ego that allows us to see ourselves and others as separate individuals.  We feel separate from one another as well as separate from God; sometimes, even separate from ourselves.  Buddhists, and others, tell us that the whole physical world is just an illusion and that only the world (dimension) of Spirit is real...that time exists in the physical just so we can think about it in a linear fashion while we are on Earth.  
Please remember what I always say - take with you what feels right to you-IN YOUR HEART-and leave the rest right here. 
Click the underlined text  to listen to Joan Baez sing  The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down  on Youtube.  Around 1:20, she sings "take what you need and leave the rest".  I just pulled out that song because of that one half-line, but if you remember Joan Baez, you can enjoy her live performance by clicking there.

Shakespeare said something like, "The whole world is a play/stage and everybody plays a part."  My Esoteric Healing instructor said, "You are the director, writer and star of your own play." 

If you'd rather listen to "The Whole World is a Stage and Everybody Plays a Part" by the Fantastic Four (from Detroit - MoTown - the city I was born in).  This was a minor distraction. I hope you took a quick break and enjoyed some oldies music.  I believe that there is a song for EVERYTHING.  It's great to always have a song in my heart (and a humming in my throat) - it just feels good - not like having an annoying song STUCK in my head.  Or, I find a song I love to replace the one that is stuck in my head.

What if there is really no such thing as time and that everything - every minute of every lifetime - is happening all at once in the world of spirit?  What if making a change today has an effect on every part of "the oneness" across all time lines, past and future and possible future?  These are big questions that merit their own posts.

At some point in our lives, we might begin to ask questions like, "Is there more to me than this body, mind, emotions (personality), my family, house, career, and possessions? How am I nourishing my spirit? Is there room to grow spiritually? Why am I here? Is there a purpose to my life?  What am I missing in life?" and more.  I think this happens when our ego begins to long for that "oneness feeling" that it has only "veiled" memories of.  This could be the time of the mid-life crisis, when people start to do things that are "out of character" for them (like buying the Harley).  Really, it can happen at nearly any age, not necessarily middle-age.  

I saw this in myself as a restlessness, always questioning the religious and philosophical "truths" I was taught in Catholic school, especially the teachings about God and Love. If God IS LOVE, then why would God EVER judge anyone?  Let alone, send anyone to eternal punishment/damnation/hell/suffering for making a single HUMAN mistake and not confessing it before physical death?.  Is God not the ultimate? Is God not the perfection of love itself?  Isn't perfect love totally unconditional?  My brain could not comprehend judgment and damnation being a part of unconditional love.  When I read the book CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD BOOK I by Neale Donald Walsch, shortly before my first cancer diagnosis in '97, it felt right to me and presented an idea of God that was more like my impression of what a god-like being should be, rather than the vengeful, fear-invoking God I had learned about as a child, based on the one teaching I DID believe: that God is love.

This CHANGE I'm talking about can have various catalysts, like simply feeling old, a serious illness, death of a beloved one, end of a relationship, marriage, sudden change or end of a career, a significant change in income, a trauma of any kind, or a near death experience - any type of significant life event.  Mine was my first cancer diagnosis in '97. I felt like it had pulled the rug out from under me/my life and knocked me down HARD and I had to pick myself up  and get back into life.  I have often referred to this event as like 'being hit over the head with a 2x4'. 

When people start to question their spiritual beliefs, to modify their philosophy of life, to dramatically change their priorities, they may even reject religion or change religions.  They may develop a new belief that, since we are a part of God - the Divine spark that resides within us, we do not need an outside source to teach us - we can go inside to know who we really are and to be ourselves...to BE who we really, truly are, not who we think others want or expect us to be. We can receive guidance from our "Divine Spark" by first asking for it, then by paying attention to our feelings and listening to the whispers of our spirit working through people, animals, books, signs, movies, etc. We are driven to want more information, a closer union with and a better understanding of the Divinity within. The spirit/soul and the personality long for union. There is a longing to merge into what is known in the Ancient Wisdom as a soul-infused personality.  

I ask and allow my 'Divine self' to think through my mind, speak through my words and act through my body. I wish to be the outward expression of the Love/God/Divine that lives within me, that animates my personality.  I ask my Divine Spark/Self to focus more intently on what's going on in my human/physical life. 
Any time I feel uncomfortable, when I remember to, I ask my Divine Self to help me out (S.O.S.) and, like yesterday, during my guided imagery presentation at the Alpena Friends Together Cancer Conference, I found myself saying things that I had not planned to talk about.  I told them about my imagery work with the energy of Divine Healing Love (click to see an example) and that I think my job or purpose is to demonstrate by my example, that someone can have cancer and still live a (relatively) normal, happy life. 

I added an experimental 'hit counter' to this blog on the right side of the screen.  We'll see if it works.  I'm not even sure what it's counting. :)

This is not the topic I was intending to write about, but I think it may be food for thought.  If you have questions or comments, click on the Comment button below, or send me an email at maggiehealing@gmail.com.

Namaste' & blessings and love....

4 comments:

  1. Maggie, I share your beliefs and I wasn't raised Catholic! I have come to find that in my line of work, which is at times end-of-life, people do indeed question what their purpose has been. I often don't know the answer except to say, "to enrich my life by your presence" which is an accurate statement. I also believe in a kind benevolent God that only wishes for us to see His divinity in each of us and that we all do share one spirit. As I continue this work, I also know that my life has been enriched by your presence, even though it has been initially by chance (doubtful) and then by design, albeit briefly. Even through a mutual friend, your presence has become even more precious in many ways....that's what spirituality is all about.
    Shari Froelich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie, love your contemplative style. Quantum physics is revealing the greater reality that is for sure. Mystical Jews taught there are 10 dimensions and we exist in 3. Now we know there are infinite dimensions, rather mind boggling. I agree with you GOD IS LOVE, PERIOD. I believe the power of God is His Love from which all things were made. We are made in His image. One thing is more important to me than anything else, He said call him Father. Imagine God who is the creator of the universe is my Papa. One time I was resting with Him when I suddenly found myself in a beautiful room with very large pillars. Suddenly the room expanded, the walls just rushed away from me leaving an enormous space still filled with large, ornate pillars. I asked,"where am I?" To which Papa replied, "this is your room - you can come here any time." I continued, " and what are these pillars? He gently said,"these are my thoughts of you". The vision had more but the passion and intimacy that Father has for us is, well, amazing. Probably I was experiencing "dimensions" during this visit, what ever it was it changed my life. I AM - He is me and I am him and I know his name - and he knows mine. His heart my heart all the same one. He is more than cosmic energy to me, He is my lover, friend, He is my Papa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thoughtful reflection on these important concepts. I've been on a spiritual quest for many years, and over time I have come to know that matters of the spirit are essentially simple and strait forward. The concepts of God, Higher Power, Creative Intelligence, Spirit of the Universe, Divine Providence, Jesus, Budda, The Force, Holy Spirit, etc. etc. etc. are all human constructions that attempt to create an image (literal or figurative) to which we can relate as human beings. God - in the most essential sense - is so much larger than my ability to capture in a single image. So, like Jody Foster in the movie Contact, we select (or have selected for us) an image that is "useful to us." This needs to be an image that can support us on our quest to fully realize the Spark of the Divine within each of us. This co-creative process of evolutionary growth and ongoing healing from injuries along the way is the most fundamental process of becomming fully human. Jerry F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these discussions about WHO WE REALLY ARE. I know in my heart that we are truly Divine and I am seeing that more clearly all the time. I saw something on Facebook the other day that said, "If you're still here, you're not done yet." It was an answer to my question - I'm not done yet. I had thought of writing a book, but by writing a blog instead, I will never be done. I, my essence, my divinity, will never really die. I don't know what it is that I've not finished yet, but I am enjoying living in the present moment as much as I am able. Right now, I have red, hot steroid face, :-) but I'm feeling good after Mexican dinner and more quality time spent with Dan today. My heart and mind are peaceful and I have a great appreciation for the love and joy of LIFE.

    Thank you for your very thoughtful responses. In essence we are all in agreement. With much love and blessings,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete